Industries all over the world choose to utilize CNC routers in order to quickly and efficiently manufacture a wide range of production parts and prototypes. By using these machines, individuals can transform raw materials into finished products faster, while being more accurate and lowering the expenses. But, how and for what are they used for?
If you are looking for an answer to this question, the text below might be quite helpful. It is going to feature a guide for completely understanding CNC routers, including what they are, how they work, what are they used for, and what types you can opt for. Let’s take a closer look:
CNC Routers: Explained
A CNC router is basically a carving mechanism that can be utilized for a wide range of automatic methods. This means that you can use it to form, carve, engrave, and drill various substances like stone, marble, timber, plastic, glass, PVC, leather, copper, and so on. The device is extremely precise, which means that it is capable of producing complex designs, shapes, and contours.
It usually features at least 3 axes – “X” which is positioned horizontally, “Y” that is vertical, and “Z” that refers vertical to the other positions. Additionally, there are some types on the market that feature A, B, and C axis, which rotate around the previously mentioned axis.
How Does it Work And What Can it Be Used For?
The first thing you should know is that these devices are controlled by a computer. All the information, commonly referred to as G-codes are put together into one program for the device. The codes are made from numbers and specific milling work that needs to be done, so, in a way, the codes provide the instructions to the router.
Now, you might be wondering – do I need specific codes for my device? Well, to put it simply, you do not. They are standardized, which means that they can be used for almost all CNC routers that you can find out there. When you insert the information into the program, the device can start working.
By rotating the tool or spindle, a cut can be produced, which is needed in order to get the desired shape. The shape is predetermined in the program. The movements of the tool around the material can be used for a wide range of applications and possibilities, including:
- Used for carving 2D and 3D models
- Used for producing aluminum and acrylic components
- Used for architectural woodwork
- Implemented in the aerospace industry
- Used for cabinetry and fixtures
- Sign Making
What Types Can I Opt For?
There are three traditional machine types including:
- The Drill Technology – this type works by rotating and moving the drill on a block or material that you chose.
- Lathes Technology – this type is completely different from drills. Instead of rotating and moving the tip, it actually spins the material against the tool. Hence, when it comes in contact with the spinning material, it will produce the design you want.
- Milling Technology – this type is probably one of the most commonly used CNC routers nowadays. It works by rotating the cutting tools in order to detach the material. If you are interested in seeing what routers you can opt for, check out elephant-cnc.com for additional information.
There are also two machines that are somewhat new to the market, including:
- Electrical or Chemical Technology – there are various techniques used by this type including beam, electro-chemical, electrical flow, photo-chemical, and supersonic techniques. They are extremely specialized, hence, they are usually employed for mass-producing items for a specific substance.
- Other Technologies – there are also additional technologies that can be utilized like laser & oxy-fuel devices and water cutting tech.
What Benefits Can I Gain?
There is a wide range of benefits that you can gain from purchasing a CNC router, including:
- Precision – these machines are quite precise and accurate, which means that there will be no errors – something that can occur with manual labor. Since it is programmed, it can also repeat the same process as many times as you need and once you are done making the components, you can use the device again for creating the same components.
- It Can Work 24/7 – one of the main benefits of these machines is that it can work all day, every day, for as long as you need it to. Of course, it will need to be switched off during regular inspections and maintenance.
- It Does Not Require Specific Skills – as you already know, manual machines require people to have the right skills and knowledge in order to operate it. However, a CNC router allows even the workers with no skills and little knowledge to operate it. So, this means that you won’t need to hire a skilled engineer in order to produce the parts you need.
- It Can Easy Be Updated – as mentioned earlier in the article, these machines are powered by a program that tells them exactly what shape they need to produce. And, like every other program and application, you can update it, which means that you’ll improve the working condition of the router.
- One Worker Can Supervise All CNC Machines in a Factory – since it is not operated by humans, one person can supervise all of the machines in one factory. All they will need to do is start the program and leave the devices to do what they were made to. They can also check whether or not a cutting tool needs to be replaced, which can lead to the production of better products.
As you can see, CNC machines can be utilized in a wide range of industries for various purposes. So, now that you know what you can do with this machine, as well as what it is used for, do not waste any more time. Instead, start thinking about what types you can get, determine which one suits your needs best, and start browsing online and brick-and-mortar businesses in order to find one that will open up various opportunities!